A drive-through testing site for COVID-19 will be opened in Turtle Lake on Sunday and Monday, May 3 and 4, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Other area testing sites are listed at the end of this article.
Anyone with at least one mild to moderate symptom—such as fever, coughing, shortness of breath, sore throat, headache, fatigue, body or muscle aches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of smell or loss of taste—is encouraged to get tested. No doctor’s orders are needed to get tested.
Residents in Barron County, Polk County or in the St. Croix Tribe who wish to get tested can go to the St. Croix Casino Turtle Lake Campground, 122 Tamarack St., Turtle Lake on Sunday and Monday. Follow the signs.
“The test will be done by a nasal swab,” said Sarah Turner, Barron County public health specialist. “This recently approved method is a more comfortable way to test than the typical nasopharyngeal test.”
Nasal swabs go into the front of the nose, rather than the nasopharyngeal swab which goes to the back of the nose and throat.
The tests are free and offered to any Wisconsin resident. Testing is conducted by the Wisconsin National Guard. They do not test for antibodies.
Those with negative test results—no virus—will be notified by the National Guard. Local public health departments will notify those with positive results—those with the virus.
Turner said test results would be available within 24–48 hours.
Area testing sites
• Chippewa and Rusk counties: Rusk County Fairgrounds, on Rusk Co. Fairgrounds Road, Ladysmith, on Thursday, May 14, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Dunn and Eau Claire counties: Chippewa Valley Technical College/Prevea Health, 617 W. Clairmont Ave., Eau Claire, on Sunday, May 10, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Monday, May 11, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Burnett and Polk counties and St. Croix Tribe: Burnett County Highway Shop, 8150, Hwy. 70, Siren, on Tuesday, May 5, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Clark, Taylor and Chippewa counties: Thorp High School, 605 S. Clark St., Thorp, on Wednesday, May 13, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Douglas and Washburn counties: Solon Springs Community Center, 11523 Business Hwy. 53, Solon Springs, on Wednesday, May 6, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Pierce and St. Croix counties: Western WI Health, Bergslien St., Baldwin, on Friday, May 8, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and St. Croix Valley Business Innovation Center, Casey Street, on Saturday, May 9, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Buffalo and Pepin counties: Buffalo County Highway Shop, S1672 Hwy. 37, Alma, on Friday, May 1, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Ashland County and Bad River Tribe: Lake Superior Elementary School, 1101 Binsfield Road, Ashland, on Thursday, May 7, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.