Calhoun Memorial Library closed at 6 p.m. on Monday, March 16. The library will remained closed until further notice. This decision was made to help slow the spread of COVID-19, or coronavirus. This means:
• All Calhoun Memorial Library programming, meetings, outreach and activities, both inside and outside of the building, are canceled.
• All programs and meetings sponsored by outside groups are canceled.
• All returned materials will be checked in on a 24-hour delay. When materials are checked in, they will be backdated to avoid any overdue situations. The Chetek library is now a fine-free library, so the likelihood of fines is small.
• The shared MORE library system will be changing all due dates to Monday, April 6.
• The libray’s book delivery system will stop delivery to libraries later this week. Patrons’ holds will be not be filled or available until after April 6.
• Public access Wi-Fi is available 24-7 outside the building. (The network is “publiclibrary.” No password is needed.)
For those stuck at home, your library card gives you access to many free resources from the comfort and safety of your own home. For patrons looking for material to read, watch and/or listen, the use of online streaming resources, such as Libby and Overdrive, is encouraged.
Read an e-book, listen to an e-audiobook, watch a movies on your device using Overdrive.
Use the “Dig Deeper” tab at the bottom of the catalog page to explore many resources, such as the following:
• Learn a new language using Transparent Languages.
• Study for the SAT, ACT or GED using Learning Express Library from BadgerLink.
• Research your family history using AncestryLibrary and HeritageQuest.
• Read old news articles using ProQuest, Badgerlink and NewsBank.
• Repair your car using manuals at Auto Repair Source.
The situation with COVID-19 is ever-evolving, which has required the library organization to be fluid and to make decisions quickly. Updates will be shared in The Chetek Alert and on the library’s Facebook page (search “Chetek Public Library”).
FREE READING WEBSITES FOR KIDS
• Storyline Online: www.storylineonline.net
• We Give Books: https://www.penguin.com/static/pages/features/wegivebooks
• Starfall: http://starfall.com
• International Children’s Digital Library: http://en.childrenslibrary.org
• ABCya!: http://abcya.com
• Storynory: www.storynory.com
• National Geographic Young Explorers: http://ngexplorer.cengage.com/ngyoungexplorer/index.html
• Oxford Owl: www.oxfordowl.co.uk