As Wisconsin hunters put another gun deer season in the books, preliminary license sale, harvest registration and hunting incident numbers are now available.
Wisconsin’s hunting legacy runs deep, and hunters are encouraged to share their stories from this year’s deer hunt—the funny ones, the big buck stories and the stories of the ones that got away. The DNR can be followed on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to share experiences and for more updates, photos and stories.
Preliminary license sales totals
In 2019, 564,664 gun deer licenses were sold through the end of the nine-day gun deer season, compared to 576,277 in 2018. This is a 2.02-percent decrease.
In total, 792,548 gun, archery and crossbow licenses (not including upgrades) have been sold through the end of the nine-day gun deer season, compared to 803,772 in 2018, a 1.4-percent decrease. Of the licenses sold to date, 54 percent were sold in person through transactions at DNR license agents, including through DNR offices and agents. The remaining 46 percent of licenses were purchased online. Deer hunting license and harvest authorization sales will continue throughout the remaining deer hunting seasons.
Preliminary registration totals
Overall, preliminary figures show that 160,769 deer were registered during the nine-day gun deer hunt, compared to 213,972 in 2018. Of the deer harvested in the 2019 nine-day season, 75,236 were antlered compared to 105,315 in 2018. The nine-day hunt also provided successful hunters with 85,533 antlerless deer, a decrease from 108,657 in 2018.
Local deer harvest numbers
• Barron County: a total of 3,596 deer harvested in 2019 compared to 4,601 in 2018 (21.8-percent decrease); 1,406 antlered deer harvested in 2019 compared to 1,778 in 2018 (20.9-percent decrease); 2,190 antlerless deer harvested in 2019 compared to 2,823 in 2018 (22.4-percent decrease).
• Rusk County: a total of 2,163 deer harvested in 2019 compared to 3,031 in 2018 (28.6-percent decrease); 1,229 antlered deer harvested in 2019 compared to 1,842 in 2018 (33.3-percent decrease); 934 antlerless deer harvested in 2019 compared to 1,189 in 2018 (21.4-percent decrease).
• Dunn County: a total of 4,115 deer harvested in 2019 compared to 4,647 in 2018 (11.4-percent decrease); 1,689 antlered deer harvested in 2019 compared to 1,950 in 2018 (13.4-percent decrease); 2,426 antlerless deer harvested in 2019 compared to 2,697 in 2018 (10-percent decrease).
While opening weekend saw mild temperatures throughout the state with some snow in the north, hunting conditions deteriorated throughout the remainder of the season as heavy wind, snow and rain moved through the state. The largest declines in antlered harvest occurred in the Northern Forest Zone, where blizzard-like conditions and significant snow accumulation hindered hunter access.
Reports from hunters around Wisconsin indicated low daytime deer activity throughout the gun deer season. Hunters afield within even a few miles of each other reported varying levels of deer sightings, confirming that deer are not evenly distributed on the landscape.
Standing corn proved to be an additional factor that likely influenced success in the field. At the conclusion of the nine-day, harvest was 66 percent complete, 22 days behind the 2018 harvest.
Wisconsin held the earliest possible deer season in 2018, followed this year by the latest possible season opener. When this occurred between the 2012–13 and 2007–08 seasons, there were similar declines in year-to-year registration totals.
Harvest numbers will climb as hunters enjoy additional hunting opportunities:
• Dec. 2–11: statewide muzzleloader hunt
• Dec. 12–15: statewide four-day antlerless-only hunt
• Dec. 24 to Jan. 1, 2020: nine-day antlerless-only holiday hunt in select Farmland Zone counties
• Now through Jan. 5, 2020: remaining archery and crossbow seasons
• Jan. 5–31, 2020: extended archery and crossbow seasons in select Farmland Zone counties.
Hunters may use any unfilled antlerless harvest authorization during any of these hunts, but they must be used in the zone, county and land type designated on the harvest authorization. For more information regarding hunts offered in each county, check out the interactive deer map at https://dnr.wi.gov, keyword “DMU.”
Hunters are required to register harvested deer before 5 p.m. the day after recovery at https://gamereg.wi.gov or by calling 844-426-3734. Any hunter who failed to follow mandatory registration rules should do so now, despite having missed the deadline.
For more information regarding preliminary registration totals, including county-level numbers, visit dnr.wi.gov and search keywords “weekly totals.” A 2018–19 comparison of preliminary nine-day gun deer season registration totalS is also available online.